The Akron-Kent Society is an affiliated branch of the national Archaeological Institute of America organization. Our society is based in the neighboring cities of Akron and Kent, Ohio. The president of the AIA Akron-Kent Society is Dr. Evi Gorogianni (University of Akron). The program coordinator is Prof. Timothy Matney (University of Akron). Our Kent Liaison is Dr. Kam Manahan (Kent State University).
From the national AIA website: “The Archaeological Institute of America (AIA) is North America’s oldest and largest organization devoted to the world of archaeology. The Institute is a nonprofit group founded in 1879 and chartered by the United States Congress in 1906. Today, the AIA has nearly 210,000 Members and more than 100 Local Societies in the United States, Canada, and overseas. Our members include professional archaeologists, corresponding members, students, and enthusiasts, all united by a shared passion for archaeology and its role in furthering human knowledge.
The AIA promotes archaeological inquiry and public understanding of the material record of the human past to foster an appreciation of diverse cultures and our shared humanity. The AIA supports archaeologists, their research and its dissemination, and the ethical practice of archaeology. The AIA educates people of all ages about the significance of archaeological discovery and advocates the preservation of the world’s archaeological heritage.
The Institute’s Professional Members have conducted fieldwork in Africa, Asia, Europe, Australia, and North and South America. The AIA has further promoted archaeological studies by founding research centers and schools in seven countries and maintains close relations with these institutions, including the American School of Classical Studies at Athens, the School of Classical Studies at the American Academy in Rome, the American Schools of Oriental Research, and others.
AIA Members are dedicated to the greater understanding of archaeology, the protection and preservation of the world’s archaeological resources and the information they contain, and the encouragement and support of archaeological research and publication.”